SEW YOUR OWN LEGGINGS
Does the thought of sewing knit fabrics send you into a mild or severe panic? Then this might just be the workshop for you.
In this hands-on 3 hour class, you’ll overcome your fear of knits as you learn about knit fabrics, two and four-way stretch, negative ease, calculating the percentage stretch of knit fabrics, identifying lycra/elastane/spandex content in your knit fabric and using a twin needle and woolly nylon thread for hemming. Time will also be spent demystifying the built-in knit stitches on a modern sewing machine and/or helping you find the perfect zig-zag length and width on your vintage machine.
After receiving an overview of knit fabric and stitches, students will work at their own pace sewing a custom-fit pair of leggings. Anna will offer small group targeted teaching moments when several students approach the same tricky part of the pattern (ie. hemming).
This price includes entry to the entire Soul Craft Festival for the day of the masterclass.
At the end of the workshop you will have overcome your fear of sewing knits, have learnt how to sew stretch fabrics on a domestic sewing machine and have a pair of custom-fit leggings to wear and enjoy.
- A copy of Megan Nielsen’s Virginia Leggings Pattern. Please note, this pattern is currently only available as a PDF download. You will need to purchase the electronic copy of the pattern and print it at home or at your local copy shop. Please bring a printed copy of the instructions to the workshop.
- 1.4m of 150cm wide (or 2.2m of 115cm wide) knit fabric with at least 40% stretch and preferably some lycra/elastane/spandex content.
- A length of 2.5cm (1 inch) elastic which matches your waist measurement.
- All-purpose polyester thread to match your fabric.
- Jersey (ball point) sewing needle.
- Stretch twin needle.
- Sewing machine (with the ability to add a second spool of thread if possible). *
- An empty bobbin (for woolly nylon thread).
- Fabric scissors (for trimming seam allowances).
- Small sharp scissors (for snipping threads).
- Measuring tape.
- Quick unpick.
- Woolly nylon thread (supplied by the teacher at no charge).
*Some machines will be available for hire if you are unable to bring your own.
Students are required to be familiar with a sewing machine – threading a machine, winding a bobbin, replacing a bobbin and changing a sewing needle.
Before this class student will be required to purchase the PDF pattern, print and assemble the pattern, trace off their size and cut out their fabric. Written instructions for tasks to be completed at home will be provided.